Chico Garcia, Louisiana State University’s cheerleading coach, was involved in a boating accident that left him seriously injured. More information can be found at www.getwellchico.com.
UPDATE ON CHICO GARCIA!!!!
They took him off the venilator this afternoon and he is doing well breathing on his own. He is awake and alert and in good spirits. Unfortunately, nothing has changed concerning his physical status. He still has to feeling or movement from the chest down, in his lower arms/hands, or legs. Needless to say, it is going to be a LONG road for our dear friend!
THERE ARE SEVERAL WAYS YOU CAN HELP!!!!
- We have a website set up www.cheeringforchico.com. Donations are being accepted to assist the family with expenses, etc. ANYTHING is appreciated! You can also post here and get info on updates, fundraisers, events, etc.
- DONATE BLOOD. For every pint of blood donated in Chico’s name, they will deduct $100 from his hospital bill. (A commenter clarified that OLOL’s policy is to give a $15 credit for patients mentioned at every blood donation.) If you are in Baton Rouge, OLL is open M-TH from 8-6. If you are not in BR, many other hospitals are willing to exchange the credit and send it to Chico but you need to ask and must give them his name when making the donation. We are in the process of gathering a list of hospitals in major cities that are willing to do this. Unfortunately, each of them needs to be called to find out if they are willing to exchange. We are working on it and will post it asap (or you can call your local hospital…just make sure they are willing & give the name Chico Garcia)!
- ONLINE AUCTION – Chico had 2 tickets and his parents had 2 tickets to the LSU vs. Oregon game. These are now up for auction at LSUsports.net with all proceeds going to the family!!!!
- T-SHIRTS – We will be selling Cheering for Chico t-shirts…keep checking the website…these will be available soon. Also working on wristbands. If you work with a squad and your squad might want to place a group order, send us an e-mail to the e-mail below and we can send you a group order form. Otherwise, individuals will be able to log on and use paypal.
- E-mail – It has been overwhelming for family and friends to keep up with offers for help, etc. We have set up an e-mail account …[email protected] If you are willing to help in any way, PLEASE send an email with your contact information and how you are willing to help to THIS EMAIL!!! We will get back to you. It may take a while, but this is going to be a long road and we are going to need help for a long time. I promise we will use everyone! If you have a business and would be willing to help with a donation…we need to pay for t-shirts, stickers, wristbands, fundraisers, etc and can get you tax deduction info. Or, if you are an individual willing to help with meals, head up a fundraiser in your town, etc…ANYTHING! Please just send an e-mail.
LASTLY, please just continue to pray for Chico and his family. Like I said, this is going to be a LONG road. The Lord is amazing and we never know who might be granted a miracle!!! I’m praying it’s Chico!!!
Thanks in advance for all of your help!!! Keep CHEERING FOR CHICO!!!!
Here are links to a couple stories about the accident: